Snow Day Information
School Closing Information
As winter approaches, our district has been preparing for the inclement weather by purchasing salt, servicing our equipment, and preparing our vehicles. However, the North Eastern Ohio unpredictable weather will still require the district to cancel school periodically. Canceling school is a tough decision for Superintendents. The decision to close school impacts our students, parents, and our community. So, the decision is made very carefully and is made based on many factors. Below I have listed some of the factors:
- The district monitors the weather locally, regionally, and nationally. We monitor the weather for climate patterns, precipitation, and wind chill.
- The Superintendent or an administrator will drive our district roads as early as 3:00 a.m. if necessary. This allows us first-hand experience of road conditions specific to Oberlin. One-third of our students ride the school bus each day and many students walk to school, so severe weather and road conditions impact school safety.
- The district maintains close communication with all county and local Superintendents. We provide each other with information regarding additional weather conditions influencing our bordering school lines.
Oberlin City Schools will provide our school community with as much notice as possible when the decision is made to close school.
The district will utilize the following media sources to notify our school community of a closing or delay:
- Voice Message System
- Text Message
- District Website: www.oberlinschools.net
- Twitter Account: @OCSSuper
- Oberlin City Schools Facebook
- iAlert WKYC Cleveland Channel 3
- ABC News Channel 5
- Fox 8 Cleveland
- 19 ActionNews Cleveland
Dr. David Hall
Oberlin City Schools